Dried Hydrangeas and Linen Napkins

FROM THE PROJECT FILE~

Thanksgiving Tablescape.



This year's Thanksgiving table is inspired by our Northwest Washington coastal setting; both the colors and the textures. Our seascape is a blend of rugged coastlines, evergreen forests, and sparkling blue water. My goal for our table decor was to reflect the textural elements that surround our house and provide visual interest with high contrast.



Larry named the table, Pumpkin Soup~ very appropriate. 

This time of year the light is in constant flux, and photo shoots are interesting and challenging. The conditions change minute to minute. Sometimes the fleeting effects are fun to catch. Other times the grossly overexposed images are a disaster.



I made a set of four linen napkins and a table runner especially for our Thanksgiving meal. I used 100% linen in a very natural color. It has a rustic appearance, which I love, but is very soft to the touch. I am glad I made these napkins because I learned so much about working with linen. But this was one of those projects that was touted as easy but was in fact time consuming and somewhat stressful. Remember my discourse on "perfect enough"? These napkins are a case in point.



The runner is in the center of the table and the Give Thanks sign, which I painted about 3 years ago actually, is laying atop. Varying heights on a dining table is always a good idea, even just something as seemingly insignificant as the 1x6 board.



My dried hydrangeas provide a bold statement. The blooms on one of my bushes are dark pink all summer and then become gradually maroon and pale green. They are all but dry by the time I cut them, and only need a bit of coaxing in the house.






I also added an assortment of candles. The short mason jar candles were really fun to make and if you need an easy gift idea, this is it. Here is a link to the tutorial I followed~ Soy Mason Jar Candles.

I also embellished the Dollar Tree jar candles, which add even more texture.

And my tablescape is never complete without the vintage candlesticks that were a wedding gift to my parents. 



A final note~ glass bottles are easily transformed into small vases. Sometimes it is more effective to use 3 or more short vases than one large vase of flowers (which often blocks dinner table conversation). It is much more interesting, in my opinion, to scatter, in a sense, flowers about the table. Why be predictable? Variety is more appealing, which is why {for example} I combined woven placemats, wood chargers, Mason jars, and Waterford crystal.

In case you're interested,  I will show you how I paint bottles and jars with homemade chalk paint in my next post. I have been on a lengthy quest to find the perfect recipe and I promise to share.

Until next time, blessings!


~Dana


Linking to other quality blogs~

Savvy Southern Style
Between Naps On The Porch
French Country Cottage


2 comments

  1. Your Thanksgiving table is luscious. So impressed by your creativity and sense of aesthetics. You are an inspiration!! Wishing you and Larry all the best this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful Dana! Love the candles. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete