SNAPSHOTS

AN UNPREDICTABLE MIX OF PHOTOS AND CHAT

A Favorite Vignette~



If you follow my Facebook page you've probably seen this picture before. Larry and I worked side by side making what you see; the frame, the box the table.


The frame is huge~ the outside dimension measures 27x36. I work all the time at improving my photo skills and I knew that I wanted to use one of my own pictures in the frame. But it took me some time to decide on what I really wanted in this spot.

I like this little slice of our home for a variety of reasons, but mostly because each piece has special meaning. I knew the photo needed to be special too.


This is the photo I chose~ taken in Newberg, Oregon on one of our motorhome trips. I know my photography is highly stylized. I take random pictures of things that catch my eye, and these pictures definitely look the best enlarged; and I mean very greatly enlarged. The pub sign is a good example. I can't imagine it making much of an impact in let's say, an 8x10. But as a 20x30 it really commands attention. So whether you like the picture or not, at this large size the photograph is an attention grabber. And that's my goal. You might now better understand my tag line, "Art In The Ordinary". I love to transform ordinary things into artful focal points.


I also think my work looks best in simple up cycled-wood frames. The photo's finish is very matte and that eliminates the need for glass. An ultra-matte finish costs a bit more, but it is indeed worth the extra investment.


I change my accessories around to keep our decor fresh. Things tend to rotate throughout the house.




Notice the hydrangeas which early in the summer were a lovely purple are now blooming a beautiful green.  The hydrangeas and the bookends are highly compatible!






As you've probably figured out, my decor philosophy has become, less is more.

Today I brought these 1950s green onyx bookends from our study. I value these as much as I value anything in our material world. These bookends belonged to my dad. Dad was an avid reader with an interesting assortment of books. When we moved my mom last year, I relocated ten boxes of books from Dad's library! These bookends have been in every house my parents ever had, and they really represent my dad to me. So whereas I didn't save all of the books, I carefully carried the bookends home from Arizona. Honestly I think they're really cool, and I am so happy to have them. I will cherish them always, and someday, I'm sure our son will love having them as much as I do.



I've had a very busy Monday. I pickled and canned our homegrown green beans, a job which consumed most of the morning. Then I turned my attention to outside work because Larry is off on another boating adventure with favorite clients. A woman's work is never done, right?

Before I say goodbye, I want to thank Cindy at Dwellings- The Heart Of Your Home, for featuring my wood slat charger post at Amaze Me Monday. Thank you Cindy! I'm very honored. Please take a moment to visit Cindy's lovely blog.

Wishing you all a lovely week!

Dana

Please visit these other fine blogs for lifestyle inspiration:

7 comments

  1. Very pretty photos, I love how you showcased the hydrangeas changing color. I haven't cut mine yet but after seeing yours it makes me want to bring some in! Thanks so much for joining us at the DI & DI Link Party this week. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so quick to respond to your party links Christine! I admire and appreciate that. Thank you you. Happy week to you as well!

      Delete
  2. Love that pub photo! I love having things in our home that have meaning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always like how you choose every detail with great care. The wonderful frame required a special photo ( not only because of its beauty, but also for its meaning for you ).
    Those bookends are great and a sweet memory, and I am sure that your son will love them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pieces with lovely styling - thanks for sharing with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana, your photos are stunning! I love the Hydrangeas and you have created a beautiful vignette with them. You always add your special attention to detail in everything you design!

    ReplyDelete